- Water damage surely causes a lot of problems for homeowners.
- Quick action is necessary to prevent further damage from occurring.
- Storage packing tips can help to prevent home water damage.
- Insurance claims can be filed if water damage does occur.
- A professional restoration company can help to restore your home after water damage.
Spring has sprung, and with it comes the obligatory cleaning and organizing! But before you bring out the bleach and start scrubbing those floors, take a moment to consider one of the biggest threats to your home: WATER DAMAGE. Water damage can be costly and destructive, whether it’s from a busted pipe, a stormy night, or just plain ol’ neglect. So today, we’re going to properly tell you how to pack away your belongings so that water damage is the LAST thing on your mind. Follow these simple tips by G2 Restoration, and you’ll be able to rest easy knowing that your stuff is safe and dry!
Water Damage – A Brief Overview
So, before we dive head-first into the nitty-gritty of packing, let’s take a brief moment to learn about water damage. Water damage is any physical or biological change to property caused by water intrusion. This can include things like:
- Bacterial growth
- Mold growth
- Paint peeling
- Rust and corrosion
- Structural damage
And those are just a few examples! In short, home water damage is any change to your property caused by water.
Some More Bad News…
No one likes to be the one to deliver bad news, but unfortunately, water damage is pretty common. In fact, it’s the second highest insurance claim in the United States! The good news is that there’re some things you can do to prevent water damage from happening in the first place.
Storage Packing Tips for Your Belongings
Among the best ways to avoid water damage is by properly packing your belongings for storage. This may seem like a no-brainer, but y’all would be surprised how many people don’t take the time to do it right. When packing your belongings for storage, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
1. Use Airtight Containers:
One of the best ways to keep moisture out is using airtight containers. These can be anything from plastic storage bins to mason jars. Whatever you utilize, just make sure it seals tight!
2. Wrap Your Items in Plastic:
If you don’t have airtight containers, another option is to wrap your items in plastic. This will help keep moisture out & protect your belongings from water damage.
3. Use Desiccants:
Desiccants are materials that absorb moisture. They can help keep your storage area dry and prevent home water damage. You can find desiccants at most hardware stores.
4. Pack Your Belongings Off the Ground:
The most common way water gets into storage units is through the floor. To prevent this, make sure to pack your belongings off the ground. If possible, put them on pallets or shelves to keep them elevated.
5. Cover Any Openings:
If there are any openings in your storage unit, make sure to cover them. This will help keep water & pests out. You can employ plastic sheeting or tarps to cover the openings.
6. Inspect Your Unit Regularly:
Be sure to inspect your storage unit regularly for any signs of water damage. If you catch any water stains or mold, take action immediately to prevent further damage.
Water damage is a really serious issue that can ruin your belongings. But by taking simple precautions, you can protect your belongings from water damage.
How Does Water Damage Take Place?
Water damage can take place in many ways:
- Condensation: When warm air meets cold surfaces, it can cause condensation, leading to water damage.
- Flooding: Heavy rains can cause flooding and damage water.
- Humidity: High humidity levels can cause home water damage by encouraging the growth of mold and mildew.
- Leaking pipes: A leaking pipe can also cause water damage.
- Water leaks: Leaks from roofs, windows, and doors can also cause water damage.
How To Do Contents Cleaning After Water Damage?
Home water damage can be a major inconvenience. Still, with these tips, you can help prevent it from happening to your belongings in storage:
- Keep an eye on the local weather: If you know a storm is coming, be sure to move your belongings to higher ground.
- Check for leaks regularly: Inspect your storage unit for any signs of water damage, such as mold or mildew.
- Use moisture-resistant materials: When packing your belongings for storage, use materials that are resistant to water, such as plastic containers or sealable bags.
- Store items off the ground: While storage packing, place your belongings on shelves or in elevated containers to prevent them from contacting any water that might leak into your unit.
- Use a dehumidifier: A dehumidifier can help reduce the humidity levels in your storage unit, making it less probable for mold or mildew to grow.
Following these tips can help prevent water damage to your belongings while in storage. However, if water damage occurs, it is important to act quickly to mitigate it. Contact a professional restoration company immediately if you notice any signs of home water damage in your storage unit. They will have the knowledge & experience necessary to quickly and effectively restore your belongings.
Oh, and if you’re wondering whether water mitigation & water damage restoration are the same or not? Here’s your answer.
How Do The Professionals Take Care of It?
This is where the real work begins. After the water has been removed from your home, our team of certified restoration technicians will begin the process of repairing & restoring your property to its original condition.
1. First Things First
Our first priority is always the safety of you and your family, so we will take measures to ensure that all remaining water and moisture are removed from your home.
2. Assessing The Damage
We will then assess the damage and develop a plan to repair and restore all affected areas. This may include replacing drywall and insulation to repainting and refinishing floors, walls, and ceilings. In some cases, removing and replacing damaged structural elements like beams or studs may be necessary. No matter what work needs to be done, our team will get the job done quickly and efficiently.
3. Preventing Future Damage
Once the immediate damage has been taken care of, we will work with you to help prevent future water damage. We may recommend installing a sump pump or waterproofing your basement. These measures can save you time, money, and stress later on.
Looking For a Water Damage Expert in Garland, TX? We Can Help!
Water damage is one of those things that can sneak up on you when you least expect it. Everything is fine one minute, and a river flows through your living room the next. If you’ve experienced water damage in your home or business, you know how stressful it can be.
But don’t worry, help is on the way! G2 Restoration is a home water damage & restoration company serving the Garland area. We have years of experience helping homeowners and businesses recover from water damage, and we will be happy to help you.
Contact us today or get a free evaluation. We look forward to helping you get your home or business back to normal!